Online Slot Terminology
With the thousands of games available through online casinos, one of the most popular is slots. While knowing slot terminology is not a requirement to play the game, understanding online slot terminology can enhance the overall gaming experience. Here is a list terms you may encounter at an online casino. This will be especially helpful when reading the description of online slot games.
Software: The software used for playing slots. For example: Wager Gaming Technology , Microgaming , RTG , or Rival are just some of the software technology used at major online casinos.
- Bonus: The slot game has a bonus feature. There could be one or more than one bonus feature associated with a slot game.
- Progressive: This refers to the jackpot, which continues to increase until someone hits the jackpot.
- Jackpot: This refers to an amount that is paid out when you get the winning combination. It is a fixed amount unlike the progressive jackpot that increases with continuous play.
- Coin Size: Each slot game will indicate the maximum bet. The coin size indicates, from minimum to maximum, the number of coins you can bet per spin. Minimum bets begin at one cent.
- Winning Combination: Each slot game will note the number of winning combinations in its summary. For example: 5 reels, 20 pay lines, and 38 winning combinations. This is also known as RNG or Random Number Generator.
- Theme: Most slot games at online casinos offer themed-type slots. This could range from movie to fairy tale themed-slot games. The reels depict the characters specific to the theme.
- Symbols: The symbols shown on slot reels range from logos to 7s to fruits to images based on themes.
- Reels: These can range from 3-reel, 5-reel, 7-reel, 9-reel slots.
- Wild Symbol: Most slot games have a wild symbol which, when applied to other symbols, can yield a win.
- Wild Multiplier: Some slot games offer a Wild Symbol that pays off from 2 to 4 times the winning combination.
- Scatter Symbol: This may be an icon that is not part of the actual symbols, but is an independent icon. For example, 3 or more scatter symbols may get you free spins.
- Free Spins: The free spins are activated during the bonus round or bonus feature of a slot game.
- Retrigger: This is a typical feature among bonus slot games that allow for additional spins during the bonus round. In some cases, you can hold more than one reel and spins again to obtain additional coins through a winning combination.
- Payout Rate: Most slot games online will show a payout percentage rate such as 97%. This means that for every hundred dollars bet, you will receive $97.00.
- Loose Slots: Refers to a slot game that has a high percentage payout.
- Tight Slots: Refers to a slot game that has a low percentage payout.
- Payline: Slot game descriptions will note the number of paylines. This can be from one to a number of lines or reels in which a winning combination will yield a payout.
- Payout: Refers to the amount of coins received after "hitting" a winning combination.
- Hit: A hit on a slot game is a win.